Monday, April 20, 2009

A few thoughts about my father

Today is my Dad's birthday. He's not with us anymore, he passed away almost 20 years ago. I'm not really sure why I'm thinking about it or why I'm even posting it in a blog. I guess it's because I've been thinking a lot about fatherhood lately. When my dad died I was only 22. The early 20's are a pivotal time in anyone's life - making that transition from school or military or whatever, into the big bad world of responsibility and adulthood. There are many times I wonder what I would be like if he were still around during my 20's and 30's. It's hard to comprehend.

My dad knew his first grandson, my nephew Michael but he won't get to meet my son, which is sad. So I have to believe that my father is somewhere looking over our shoulders and he knows what's going on. And that's the only consolation I have for my wife who is having a hard time with the waiting period. I believe, that not only my father and grandparents but Jolynn's grandparents are all up there (maybe they know each other, maybe not. I don't know how that works) looking over us and making sure that we will bring our son home safely.

My dad would have been 74 today. And I miss him.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

It is difficult to lose a loved one. Although not the same, I lost my grandfather the year Mike and I were married. Having to wait so long between trips to get Colby, from early July to late Jan, was so difficult. The only thing that got me through was knowing Poppy was watching out for him. I wish he was here to see my son but at least he was watching over him while we were apart.
Melissa

Amy said...

Hard to post that isn't it Rich? Thanks for sharing -- and someday your bunny will read it too... and understand how much your dad meant to you.

I lost my gramma about 10 yrs ago - not quite the same as a dad, but she was really special. I miss her everyday!

Anonymous said...

Of course he is watching, he wouldn't miss this!!! I know he is very proud of you and always has been. No shame in missing him, I do too.

Love you
Bren

Troy and Rachel said...

I lost my father just a few months before we traveled to Russia and it was so hard thinking that he would never meet our son, when he's met the other grandchildren. Like you though, I believe they have already met our children and that they are looking over us. Thanks for sharing your story - we're thinking about you.

Kim said...

Your dad is definitely watching over you and the new family that is about to be united. I am sure he is very proud of your decision to welcome bunny into your lives. It is always hard when these big life changing events happen to us and our loved ones are not physically with us.

Kim

Laura said...

Rich: I truly believe that your dad is guiding you through this process and keeping an eye on Bunny until you can do so yourselves.

Hang in there and I hope you and JoLynn are back with Bunny SOON!!

Blessings,
Laura

Amy, Jeff, LM, SC, & Ashton said...

hey rich and jolynn -- found you through laura & jon -- i do believe that your dad and a host of other folk are praying for you on a different plane... and your dad will so have a lasting impact on your son -- through you!
i hope your wait goes fast! we are waiting, as well.... so we get how every day you miss someone you only spent a couple days with -- you'll be with him soon... but we all know it will never be soon enough until it is the day he is!