ower supply for our notebook has decided to go bad so I had to order a new one. Have you ever tried to order a power supply for a notebook? Don't even bother with Best Buy. They're pretty much like the zit faced kids on The Simpsons that are always working at the fast food places. They have no clue. I also ordered an external battery for the iphone/ipod. There's no way either one will last on those long flights.
Which leads me to my big issue of the day - the iphone. Should I take it or leave it here? Here's the deal: Making calls on at&t international package is a "fair" $3.99 to $4.99 a minute. Data is even more of rip off(.50 a text message for example). I've been reading stories today of unknowing souls racking up $1000,$2000 and even $3000 phone bills. Unless you turn off many of the iphone's data features it will constantly try to access the internet. And doing that overseas even with "a data plan" is still painful. So I guess I'll have to shut off all 3g network access and turn my iphone into an ipod touch(not a bad option actually). Greed. It's pure greed. Fair use is one thing. I don't think I would mind paying a reasonable amount to access a foreign network. But let's face it, it's just digital bits. Why is it so much more expensive over there? And for that matter, why is it so expensive over here too? Shame on you at&t.
I looked into "unlocking" my iphone which would let me use a local Russian phone carrier. Hmmm? Maybe next trip. I'm not sure I want to do that just yet. The cheapest way would be to find a used unlocked world band phone then buy the sim card in Russia. Again maybe next trip. I'm looking into that now. And there's always cell phone rentals both here and in Russia. I think for our first trip we're going to use skype(take that at&t!), a prepaid calling card and our other phone(emergencies only - the rates I wrote about earlier apply). The iphone will stay behind. In it's place, the industry workhorse ipod 5g will be going for our in flight music listening and movie viewing.
I also ordered some new SD cards for the cameras. SD cards do have a limited number of read/write cycles and I don't want to be caught if one decides to fail.
So I think I have the tech area covered - I hope. It still seems like there's so much left to do. It kind of goes in waves - sometimes I feel comfortable and ready to go and other times I worry about making sure we've thought of everything. The good news is that if we did forget something there's always a second trip.
12 comments:
Oh, I learned the iphone lesson. After my first trip, my bill was $800. Then I learned to turn the data features off and use the hotel Wi-Fi. Or so I thought. The bill after my second trip was $1000, so I left it "off" during the third trip. Took it only in case of an emergency. Be forewarned. It's expensive to use an iphone in Russia. Just what I needed was an $1800 bill after all the adoption expenses. Sheesh!!
I have AT&T international on my Blackberry. . .emails were included in my 69.99 a month fee, and I had quick pictures (in addition to the camera, of course). . .then we used Skype on or Computer, which is absolutely free and it was a great way to see and hear or friends and family back home.
NYET iphone...
Look into skpye for your laptop. You can get unlimited calls to LANDLINES in the US or Canada for $3/month. Well worth it. Most of the hotels have the wifi... so you should be good.
We left our Iphones it home after hearing horror stories of huge bills. We used the MajicJack and had great luck. We are able to communicate just fine. Truly, you won't have time to be connected. You may get a couple hours here and there and then you will just want to sleep.
There's a couple more things about the iphone. First, even if i bought a data package from at&t, the international billing may not show up for 3-4 months(which is just crazy in this day and age). So if I bought a data package, traveled then cancelled it upon my return and the international data didn't get billed until a few months later, then that data gets billed at the normal rate. Crazy huh?
I think the only way to be safe is to unlock the phone or take out the sim card(just like The Terminator). The ipod and the wifi will still work, but the phone and the 3g stuff won't. The phone is basically invisable to the crime bosses at at&t.
I am glad you have a plan. I took extra cards for my camera as while because I worried about that too. I also downloaded all my pictures every night.
I read once where someones camera was stolen before they were able to download there pictures.
Joy
Thanks Jolynn for the advice on the Vitamin D. I am off to the store to pick up some. You are right about the weather in Michigan. I can't wait for the weather to change. My older two are ready for the summer!!Congratulation's on your new son. How old is he? I can't wait to hear all about him. What region will you be traveling to. Best of luck, Dawn
I just stumbled on your blog and first off - congrats on your referral!! I would say no to the phone also. Both times we took Verizon global phones and both times they didn't work. We used email solely and it worked out just fine. April 4th will be here beofre you know it!
I am so happy to read about your recent referral. What great news and a wonderful gift for Easter, meeting your little one.
Thank you for your wonderful comments on my blog. I look forward to reading about your adoption journey and seeing some great photos.
Melissa
Hi-
I came across your blog and wanted to say congrats! And to comment on the iphone thing- def. leave it home or off- it is super spendy (and yes, greedy) if you use it. We ended up using a rental phone from Peace Travel- and I used it a lot. We couldnt SKype well at our hotel because there was only wi-fi in bar and lobby and it was loud and not private at all so I did not want to talk out loud that way and I needed to talk to my twin sister- alot. We paid $140 for first trip rental and then $250 for second trip (27 days) and that included alot of minutes used on the phone. It was so worth it. We did have free phone in our Moscow apt but when we were in region I needed that connection, email just wasnt going to cut it for me- but then again I talk to her 2-3 times a day usually so... Good luck on your trip!!
Congrats on your referral and good luck on your trip! Are you in St. Pete city or Leningrad region? I am waiting to travel to St. Pete (referral is actually in Leningrad Region), maybe we will cross paths on one of our trips! God Bless!
Congrats!
Have to agree with everyone...leave the iPhone at home. We're getting ready to get the news for Trip #2 and after much research, we're going with Skype and magicJack.
Best wishes!
~Laura :)
Post a Comment