Monday, August 31, 2009

Fall is almost here

With fall right around corner the subject of Halloween has come up. Actually it came up a few weeks ago in the "Babies R Us" store because apparently baby costumes sell out fast. So Jolynn asked what I thought Jacob should be for Halloween this year. The first thing that popped in to my head was "IronMan." I have no idea why I said that, it was a silly answer. But on the other hand, it's also really cool. STOP. FREEZE FRAME. Now we've stumbled upon the root of what's turning out to be the great debate of 2009 "cool" vs "cute."

I've had other really cool ideas like "Ace Frehley" but all that make-up on a baby probably isn't a good idea. But still, Ace is really cool.



Then I thought, how about "Baby Hulk Hogan?" Jacob already has the long blonde hair. Jolynn thinks that it's outdated. True, but who hasn't heard of Hulk Hogan?




The whole time I've been coming up with ideas Jolynn has been campaigning for this cuddly little lion costume. Yeah, ok it's sort of cute. Then Jolynn tried the jedi mind trick on me and suggested a bunny costume. The reference being that before we knew anything about Jacob we were calling our child to be "Bunny." But I think Jolynn put the idea out there as an alternative to the Lion costume so that I would eventually just agree to the Lion suit. Ok. Maybe it worked. Because all I can think about when she mentions the bunny suit is Ralphie from A Christmas Story. It's just not fair to torment Jacob like that.



So in the end I think "cuteness" will prevail. I guess it really doesn't matter as long as Daddy gets some of those special dark miniature Hershey bars.

7 comments:

Grammy said...

Grammy already had the idea to make the perfect candy basket to look like a carrott for the bunny costume but now I will be able to have a photo of Jacob and Brody at about the same age in the same Lion costume. GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Grammy

JennStar said...

LOL!! I hawk the special darks from my kids' bags, too!!!
And a word to the wise- dress him the way you want to now, in a few years, he'll want to be a ninja or something with blood or whatever character is all the rage. Thankfully, my 4 year old can still be swayed, but my 6 year old has hit the wall with us on costuming- ninjas it is for him this year! LOL!

Rob,Dawn,Catherine and Iain and Maura said...

Go for the cute ones now. Once they realize what you are putting them in, they will put up a fight. Poor Iain was a Pooh Bear, Cow,
Peter Pan with the tights and a Candy Corn before he said no more mom. He actually picked Captain Hook for his first real costume. Once they hit 4 they seem to have a mind of their own. Plus, it is fun to look back at the photos when they grow up.LOL

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

I found a Dinosaur pattern for this year (lion was last year). . .I think the mom has to "win" for a couple of years with these little guys because all too soon they want to be the Power Ranger/Transformer/Spider Man thing, or (gasp!!) that horrible thing from Scream! Good luck and happy halloweeen!

Joy said...

Oh Rich,
You just know that it will be a cute costume this year because the rest of the years he will be like "No way Mom!"
I was thinking Anna may be a squirrel or a bumble bee because she is so busy all the time.

As I write this she is wiping down the house with a diaper wipe. My house has never been so wiped down.
Joy

Hanson Family said...

Oh, I think the lion would be precious! And you know...part of being a parent is to have fun and dress up too, lol. I can see it now- Jolynn as Dorothy, Jacob as the Lion & Rich can be the Tin Man or the Scarecrow ; ) <3 you!

Kim said...

Cute all the way! :) Too funny!